Friday, April 6, 2012

Since I got my labs back, I have been all over re vamping my diet to lower my cholesterol and LDL. I called my mom (who is a nurse) and have spent what it seems like hours and hours reading information to help me. So, here are a few things I learned:

*Limit cholesterol intake to less than 300 milligrams daily

*Monounsaturated are the healthiest fats: almonds, avocados, natural peanut butter and sesame seeds are some examples. Limit saturated fat to about 15-25 grams daily and avoid trans fats at all cost.

*Most experts agree working out 5 days a week will help

*Eat more fiber, especially soluble fiber because it absorbs cholesterol like a sponge, according to Web MD

*Drink green tea because it contains compounds that can help lower levels

So, that's a few things that I learned about lowering my levels, so hopefully making a few changes will help me.

1 comment :

  1. Aha, so here's where you've been posting!!!

    I recently started a modified Budwig protocol (honestly, I'm just adding in nonfat cottage cheese + flaxseed oil) to see if it has any effect on my lab work (coming up in June). I have done a lot of research & reading re: paleo & primal diet bcz I, too, want to feel better! I'd probably be doing MUCH better if I could completely cut out the sugar & processed foods...

    But I'll quit cluttering up your comments & do my own post ;-) !

    ReplyDelete