Monday, May 1, 2017

Running Safety

Running safety has always been important to me, but it was especially important when I was training for the NYC Marathon. Like most people I and have other things to do while training for a marathon, and training can be very time consuming. I work eight to ten hours a day, so it was tough to figure out a good time to run.

I’m a morning person so I decided to get up insanely early to run before work. I actually had to get up extra early because I’m such a slow runner. During the weekdays, my alarm went off at 4:45am and I blearily headed out in the dark. My town is safe but you never know what can happen even in daylight. So, let’s recap:

I was running alone

I was running in the dark

I was running on some roads with no street lights

So, obviously running with a friend or group in the daylight with your phone is my best advice, but if you are like me, I had to make extra safety precautions.  First, I mapped out my route and had my husband put an app on my phone so he could track me in real time. Second, I bought bright and reflective running clothes so I could be seen from Mars. My running shoes had reflective spots and I also added reflective Shwings. I purchased a TigerLady (use code HAUGHTIGER for 20% off your order), a small hand held self defense claw, that I wore looped around my wrist. If you have a home security system, like SimpliSafe Wireless Home Security System, check with them to see if you can control the system from your phone so you can easily activate the panic button if needed on your run. Lastly, I bought a headlamp and as dorky as I felt and looked, it was essential while running in the dark for obvious reasons. I could see objects that might trip me up or an animal lurking around, and drivers were able to see me about a quarter a mile away. 



You are never 100% safe while running, but there are things you can do to be as safe as possible. Let people know where you are going and when you will be back, be visible to cars, and be aware of your surroundings.

Happy running and stay safe! 

0 comments :

Post a Comment