Sunday, October 4, 2015

Confession: I Skip Tuesdays

Well, I'm still kinda in my funk, but I think I'm slowly coming out of it. I skipped my run AGAIN on Tuesday because it was...or I, I think I was tired. I don't even remember. My physical therapist, Erin, was NOT happy with me at all. She said that no matter what happens on Tuesdays, I must do something and that something does not mean rolling over and going back to sleep. She means running, walking, biking, yoga etc. So, she is on to me-damn.

I was committed to getting out there on Thursday morning, no matter what the weather was. I did four miles, but I mostly walked it. As the week went on, I felt less confident about being able to do this. I got really overwhelmed. And it didn't help when I said that hydration packs were banned from the race. My hydration pack was not cheap and I bought it purposely for the race. Yes, I'm aware I probably should have read the prohibited items well before less than a month before the race, but c'mon HYDRATION PACKS?! Man, now I'm going to have to look like a dork with a fuel belt or even worse....a fanny pack. URGH. 

With the threat of Hurricane Joaquin, I was unsure when to do my ten miles this weekend. When I woke up on Saturday morning, it was barely raining so I set out. I ran all the way to the end of the White Oak area and turned around. I was actually doing really well and felt great. At mile seven the sky opened up and it was POURING. By the way, never believe a tag (especially a tag on a running jacket) when it says "Water Resistant". LIES! ALL LIES! I was soaked to the bone and my trusty running shoes are still wet.  I ran the ten in 2:18:38, if I run as well as I did yesterday in NYC, I will be very happy! 

While I rested and napped, Matt made a wonderful dinner. He made Shepard's Pie with lamb from scratch and it was delicious. I can admit that I had two helpings. 

I woke this morning still in funk and then really got annoyed after I realized I have to buy new running shoes because mine were toast from all the rain. I wasn't in the mood to spend a lot of money on shoes that I swear I just bought. We went to Raleigh Runner Outfitters and had a hard time picking out a pair because my damn leg hurt every time I tried on a pair. Finally, I decided on a pair of Brooks:

I've been trying to not get so anxious out the race, but it is getting difficult. I went online last night and saw this on the NYC marathon site:

Time Limit: In the interest of safety, and to allow streets and park drives to reopen as scheduled, race courses will remain open to all participants who are able to maintain a 13:45-per-mile pace (based on the time when the last runner crosses the start line).

Yeah, I checked my minutes per mile from yesterday's run and it was 13:52. Yeah, so not a lot of wiggle room-haha! Hopefully, I'm not the last runner crossing the start line. I also realized that my twenty miler is on Saturday and I should probably wear everything that I'm planning on wearing at NYC and I still really don't know what I'm going to wear or what I'm going to use for water or what belt.....seems silly. You're bored, aren't you? 

I talked with my parents tonight and my mom looked up the weather for NYC in the Farmer's Almanac and this is what it said:

Only twenty seven more days! I ordered these fun NYC gloves, each finger and thumb has each Borough on it.


  1. I think getting anxious before a big race is normal and you're going to do great...even if you skip Tuesdays :)

    1. Thanks, Amy! I'm very anxious! :)

    2. This comment has been removed by the author.