Monday, February 9, 2015

I'd Like To Talk To You About Pre-Diabeetus

This past week was a bit rough because I wasn't feeling that great and because our time with Guinness is getting shorter. There are going to be some changes coming for the Haught family soon.

Earlier this week, some of my friends got together for a Paint Night Party and it was a lot of fun. I have absolutely no artistic talent whatsoever, so I wasn't super excited about the outcome of my picture. The picture was supposed to be cherry blossoms in the moonlight or something. My blossoms started to look like a cross between ghosts and KKK members.....UNACCEPTABLE. I changed all the flowers into ghosts and painted bats in the moon and made a spooky night picture.



I have been feeling pretty down lately, mostly because of Guinness, so I talked to my PCP, Dr. Tank at Family Wellness Clinic. After some discussion, she decided to get my A1C checked and lo and behold, it came back elevated. I have pre-diabetes. Granted, my family history is a nightmare because pretty much everyone on my dad's side has diabetes, BUT I never thought I'd ever get it. Now, that I'm pre-diabetic, I'm pretty pissed at myself. I haven't been taking care of myself at all.


So, now I'm on Metformin and changing my diet in a big way. I'm going to be watching sugar and carbs carefully. I read that most people who are diagnosed with pre-diabetes will develop Type 2 diabetes within ten years, but you can slow the progression of it by at least 50% by losing weight, eating a healthy diet and exercising. So, I'm on a new mission, a tough one because I love sugar and carbs. They are pretty much my favorite things in the world.  I know it is going to be really tough, but l have to look at the freaking alternative. I don't want more medicines or insulin, I want to be healthy, strong, and fight this. 


1 comment :

  1. I'm thinking of you. Proud of you for making changes - you've got this. And sending lots of love for you all on your time with Guinness.

    ReplyDelete