Sunday, November 20, 2016

10 Great Gifts For Athletes

The holiday season if once again upon us and if you are like me, you struggle with what to get your loved ones. I always want my gift to be well received, but I look for other details as well, for example, can I get it from a local business? Is it made in the USA? Would it be useful to them? Would they even want it? No wonder people say the holidays are stressful!

I picked out ten gifts that I think your favorite athlete would enjoy and secretly won't return behind your back.


Five1Five Signs

I stumbled on Five1Five Signs medal holders a couple years ago and am a huge fan. Their signs are unique because they are hand painted carved wood signs, not just vinyl letters like most other signs. I have one in my office and I have given out a few as gifts and people really love them. These signs aren't just for runners, but for swimmers, gymnasts, triathletes and more. Contact Andy and you can have it personalized so your favorite athlete can hang their medals proudly!




TigerLady

When I was a runner, I would do the majority of my running in the dark by myself, especially when the time changed in November. I was ALWAYS decked out head to toe in reflective gear, lights, and bright colors, but all that gear wouldn't have saved me from an attacker. Tiger Lady is safety at your fingertips. It is small, light weight, and needs no batteries or charging. I had no issues running with it and it made me feel A LOT safer no matter where I was. I carry it when I'm not running as well so instead of holding onto my phone in my hand, I replaced with a Tiger Lady. No one coming up to attack me would suspect that I had a self defense claw in my hand. To activate the three claws, all you have to do is close your hand and make a fist. The retractable claws protrude between your knuckles ready to meet your attacker. I feel confident and very Wolverine-like when I have my Tiger Lady. You can use my discount code HAUGHTIGER for 20% off!



RangeRoller

The RangeRoller is no joke. It gives you a a deep massage that wouldn't believe! The roller gets in the inner and outer layers of muscles and tissue to help break up and eliminate scar tissue, increase circulation and is effective getting out those nasty knots from just about anywhere. My husband, myself and even our dogs love it!


Road ID

I think Road ID is probably the number one item that every athlete should have because it can save your life. They make these bracelets for adults and children and they make them in a variety of styles and colors. Your personal and medical information can be accessed from medical personnel through their website. They will be able to access your emergency contacts, your doctors, insurance information, medications, allergies, surgeries, and so much more. You can go online and update it anytime you want. If you don't have one, GET ONE! It will give you and your loved ones piece of mind when you are out on the roads.


CopyCat Yoga Mat

I came across the Copycat Yoga Mat on Etsy and I thought this was such a cool product. I was a disaster at yoga and never knew where to put my hands and feet for poses. I'd feel frustrated and miss instructions on breathing or other information. In class, I felt self conscious and I think this mat will really help adults and children learn yoga with confidence. Not only does the mat show foot and hand placement, but it shows different poses like Triangle and Halfmoon. They also have online videos showing poses and notifications.  The mat is non toxic, eco friendly, phthalate and latex free, SGS tested and certified. It is extra thick (1/4" which is twice as thick than a standard yoga mat), extra long (72" x 24" which is 4" longer than a standard yoga mat) and self adjusts to work with any height.






Pro-stretch Plus

If your favorite athlete complains of achilles tendonitis, ankle pain, back pain, calf strain and tight calf muscles, arch pain, plantar fasciitis, heel pain, ball of foot pain, tight hamstring pain, IT band syndrome, and/or shin pain, then the Pro-stretch Plus is going to help them. It helps give you an effective and comfortable stretch that will help prevent future injuries. You are going to save them so much pain, aggravation, and frustration, plus YOU won't have to hear them keep complaining about their pain every time you talk to them. It's a win-win!



Shwings

I came across the Shwings a few years ago and immediately fell in love with them. They have over 150 styles in all different colors and will make all your shoes look unique and fun! They have wings, lighting bolts, skulls, butterflies, and even mustaches! They have been featured in magazines such as InStyle, UsWeekly, Parents and more. They are a perfect stocking stuffer for kids and adults of all ages. I have three pairs myself!




"The Long Run" by Matt Long

I'm constantly talking about Matt Long and his inspiring book, "The Long Run". While bike riding, Matt was hit by a twenty ton bus making an illegal turn and his bike "sliced him open like a can". He needed sixty eight units of blood 10 hours after the accident and was in the hospital for five months. Every bone in his left leg was broken, the right side of his pelvis was shattered, as well as his right shoulder and severed multiple arteries. He would endure over forty operations and the doctors weren't even sure he would walk again, let alone compete. Matt's book describes his intense and painful recovery and how he was able finish the NYC marathon three years after the accident. This story is incredible and I'm not lying when I say that I read it at least once a year.






 2Toms Sports Shield Towelette

Ah, chafing, every runners nightmare. Since I was bigger runner I had lots of chafing issues and after a particular run while training for the NYC marathon last year, I realized BodyGlide wasn't going to cut it. As I silently screamed in agony in the shower after a long run, I decided to try some new products. I came across 2Toms Sports Shield Towelettes during a Runchat, looked at their products and decided to try their towelettes and roll on. Since I've tried them, I haven't had any chafing issues.  NOT ONE. I'm particularly fond of the towelettes because they are small and portable. I had been known to unwrap one and stick it down my bra for long runs just in case I've missed a spot.





BackBeat Fit Bluetooth Headphones

I actually won a pair of these BackBeat Fit headphones and I'm a huge fan. When we joined Rex Wellness Center earlier this year, I wanted a pair of wireless headphones because my wires kept getting caught on the machines and weights, it drove me crazy. It was easy hooking them up with my phone so I was happily watching Parks and Rec while on the bike or listening to JT while using the weight machines.  I found they were easy to use, comfortable and the sound is fantastic. It definitely drowns out crying babies and overly talkative adults on airplanes.



What is on your wishlist this year? 



*This blog was originally written for Medi-Dyne as a guest blogger.  All my opinions are my own. 

0 comments :

Post a Comment