Friday, October 24, 2014

Interview With KD Robinson



Khadevis "KD" Robinson is an 8 time USA National Champion, a USA Olympian, an inspirational speaker and coach. He specialized in the 800m and his best time was 1:48:68 minutes. He is currently coaching the Track and Field team at LSU. Personally, I love his positive attitude and his motivational tweets.

Do you remember the moment you felt like a runner?

I have always been a runner. Since I was a child, I loved running. We were very poor so I had to walk or run everywhere. I was an only child and always wanted to go over to my cousin's house and I would have to run there after school on Fridays before it got dark.

What is your formula for success?

 Faith, belief, hard work. To be successful you have to put the work in. We reap what we sow. You can have anything in life if you are willing to pay the price. You must have faith in yourself and your abilities and you must believe it can happen to and for you.

Do you have any rituals or superstitions?

Not really. I used to write my name on the mirror and put #1 by it after I took a shower the day before and of the race.

Do you have a philosophy on diet and nutrition?

I feel that your body knows what it needs. Diet is fairly simple but hard to apply. Fruits, vegetables, carbs, proteins in the right proportions at the right times. My focus was maintaining an optimal weight balance. I needed to fuel my body properly. I love sweets so I would have sweets on occasion. The main thing for me was making sure I was eating enough of a variety.

Image from KD Robinson
What was your most epic race? Tell me about it.

My most epic race was probably my race at the 2008 Olympic trials. It will go down as a very historical race and I happened to be on the losing end of it, but it end up being one of the best things that could happen as it relates to my track and field career and philosophy.

What wisdom can you give beginner runners?

Beginning runners need to know that they can start where they are now. Running is a life long hobby. I used to run just to get from point A to point B. Then I ran just for sport as an athlete. Now I run as a stress reliever. Running is a way get out in nature. I relax, I let go of tension. Plus, when I travel, it is an easy way to view and experience new cities. Beginning runners can run at their own pace and enjoy it for what it provides them.

What is your favorite Olympic memory?

My favorite Olympic memory is walking into the stadium for the Opening Ceremonies. There's nothing like it. At that exact moment you know everyone in the World is watching and all eyes are on you.

What was your lowest point in running and what did you learn from it?

My lowest point was getting 4th at the 2004 and 2008 Olympic Trials. It leaves you empty to have worked that hard for something. Those were both of the biggest learning tools for running and life I have had. One helped me understand that I did not have a good balance in life. The other helped me realize why I was running.

How are you enjoying coaching at LSU?

Coaching at LSU is great. We have everything we need to be successful. It is great to be a part of a team, a coaching staff, and a school that can compete for a National Championship every year.

Have you ever been to New Hampshire? What did you like about it?

I have never been to New Hampshire. I need to find a reason to visit.

Favorite Race: 800 at Monaco, Zurich, Rome or Lignano.

Shoe: Jasari

Store: Luke's in Fort Worth, TX

Way to Relax: Park with the family, read a book, or play chess

Athlete: Ali

Recovery Meal: Protein shake

TV Show: The Wire

Movie: Book of Eli, Cooley Hight and Training Day

Book: Ishmael

Singer/Band: Luther Vandross

Mantra: You gotta want it!

Guilty pleasure: Ice cream

City: Malmo, Sweden

Country: South Africa

Racing Memory: 2004 and 2012 Olympic Trials or 1998 NCAA National Championships.

Thanks to KD for taking time out of his busy scheduling and answering my questions. You can follow KD on Twitter and Facebook. Also, check out his website for information on his motivational speaking, nutritional supplements and his "Explore Your Core" DVD.


0 comments :

Post a Comment