Sunday, September 28, 2014

Weak in the Knees

This week was a bit crazy. My bad knee (I had surgery on my right knee twice) has been flaring up all week and I didn't have high hopes for my long run yesterday. I had a tough time deciding whether or not to run this week, but I ended up deciding it playing it safe and not running.

I got up yesterday and drank my usual my tea and an Uncrustable and immediately felt nauseous. As I drove to Umstead, my stomach starting hurting. I was a little nervous because Umstead doesn't have any bathrooms. Miles 1-3 were tough between my knee and my stomach, but as I continued on my stomach felt better but I was still nauseous. My knee was very painful from 6-9 and I even had to stop at 6.89 miles and rest. I was planning on running the last mile again like last week, but I was in a lot of pain and decided not to push it. My goal time was two hours, and I finished in 2:03:14. Not bad with "broken knees".


On Thursday, we dropped Jager off for his cataract surgery. I was on pins and needles all day waiting for an update on him and finally I got a call staying everything went well. Jager was able to see well immediately according to the surgeon. He was pretty excited.  His vision will get better in the next five to seven days. He is already going up and down the stairs better, catching treats and wagging his tail more. We are so happy for him.


My cousin, Julia, who is also running the Manchester Marathon half, wrote an amazing blog that you should check out. She tackles eating disorders and her honesty is refreshing and is all too familiar with me. I have mentioned in previous blogs that I would one day write about my experience, but I'm still not ready. It is going to be tough, but I will one day. The courage that Julia has displayed in her blog, makes me think I can share my story too.

I forgot to mention in last week's blog that I got my cholesterol rechecked and it dropped twenty points and my triglycerides dropped firty seven points in three months! I'm pretty proud of that.

Wednesday's interview is with Kasie Wallace Enman. I went to Manchester Central High School with Kasie where she was part of the cross country team. Since high school, she has been busy. Not only has she been raising a family, but she is also a two time Olympic Trials Women's Marathon Qualifier (2008 and 2012). She is running the NYC marathon on November 2nd and will be running with Med Keflezighi, Wilson Kipsang, Kara Goucher, Desi Linden and many others. So, make sure you check it out on Wednesday!

Only five weeks until the Manchester Marathon half! Time is flying!


0 comments :

Post a Comment